- Delivering over 3000 product lines and 16 product categories at a single price point.
- Managing stock rotation and replenishment across multiple stores, serving on average 2.75 million customers per week.
- Optimisation of space in-store.
Poundland, Europe’s biggest and fastest growing single price point discount retailer has seen exceptional growth of twenty per cent year-on-year. The retailer’s ambitious growth strategy has seen it not just survive, but thrive on the struggling high street. This exceptional growth has brought a number of business challenges, in particular the management of a complex supply chain.
The company stocks a variety of products across 16 categories including home and kitchenware, health, beauty and gifts, many of which are brand names and clearance products. The supply chain process is managed using JDA software hosted on IBMi.
Poundland realised that in order to manage over 3000 product lines, at a single price point whilst keeping costs down, required changes to the JDA software.
JDA software is a superb supply chain management solution with a long standing customer base. On occasion, as in the case of Poundland, changes or development is required to extend the capabilities of the software.
The challenge for Poundland was to secure resource proficient in supporting the changes to JDA and its host environment, IBMi. Poundland had the option of either using JDA personnel or recruiting individuals with experience of IBMi and or JDA. Both these options presented limitations, issues with ownership and delivery and scope for future development.
Poundland recognised the value Astech brought to the organisation in the combination of its knowledge of retail, having supported several high street retailers for many years and the experience of its IBM i / iSeries / AS400 and JDA specialists. In order to meet the business needs of managing the supply chain for multiple products lines, stock rotation and replenishment, Astech undertook the following:
- Extended the functionally of JDA’s software to cater for the management of 3000 products at a single price point.
- Delivered 24 hour support
- Multi-platform integration to improve use of space in-store.
The benefits realised were:
- Signal knowledgeable provider with multiple technology and retail experience
- Scalability of services and resource according to project needs
- Flexible approach to providing services in line with Poundland’s growth plans and business needs
- Ownership of project delivery
- Longevity- provision of resource for future project change